Experience Outdoor Education at Homewood on beautiful Gowlland Harbour.
Camp Homewood covers 275 acres of natural beauty on the shores of Gowlland Harbour. This picturesque and sheltered harbour tucked in between mainland and vancouver island is dotted with islands to explore and its calm waters are perfect for learning to canoe and row. Many miles of forested trails provide a wonderful setting for horseback rides. The site is an integral part of the pristine wilderness on Quadra, well suited to ecological and natural science studies. We are close to ocean shores, lakes, fields, forest, and mountains.
Homewood offers a variety of outdoor education activity and study options suitable for all grade levels. Our staff can provide instruction for the complete program or we can simply assist you as your own staff instructs in the outdoor setting.Our week long groups in May/June (four nights, five days) we provide an outdoor education manual for each student. It includes space for journal entries plus sections on the various studies and activities we offer. It is customized for the specific activities your group chooses and is designed to be used during the week as well as for follow-up study in the classroom. It is geared for intermediate students.
Even if you cannot come for a full week, one, two, or three days at Homewood will be educational, memorable, and enjoyable for your students.
The facilities are also suitable for choirs, bands, or drama groups who want a special get-a-way for rehearsals or instruction. Please see our facilities page for more information.
(a) INCLUDING Activities & Field Trips Options
- Rates include: indoor heated accommodation, meeting rooms, and food service
- Supervised Activities(instructors provided):
- Animal Husbandry
- Outdoor Living
- Horseback Riding (Additional $10.00 per person)
- Beach Study (seasonal)
- Tree Study
- Obstacle Course
- Map Study
- Canoes and rowboats
- Field Trips options
- Kwagliuth Museum at Cape Mudge Indian Village
- Homewood Woodsman Camp on Village Bay Lakes
- Rebecca Spit Provincial Park
- Cape Mudge Lighthouse.
- Various Hikes on Quadra Island
- Maximum: 80 guests
- Minimum: 30 guests (in May and June, the minimum is 60 guests); if below minimum, two school groups may be scheduled on the same days
- Rates for 2017: $65.00/night/student; $50/night/adult(plus applicable taxes).
- If minimum number of guests is not met, you will be charged for the minimum.
(b) DAY TRIP
- Rates include: activities only
- Arrive on the 9:30 am ferry and depart on the 4 pm ferry.
- Guests bring a bag lunch
- Number of activities will be dependant on time of arrival and departure.
- Minimum: 30 guests (in May and June, the minimum is 60 guests); if below minimum, two school groups may be scheduled on the same days.
- If the minimum of 30 is not met, you will still be charged for 30 guests.
- 2014 Rates: $34/student; $17/adults.
(c) For groups under the minimum 30, we can provide accomodation only in our Homestead Lodge or Guesthouse. Email for details and rates. (see below)
- First Aid- although our staff is trained in basic first aid and there is Ambulance service on Quadra, each group must provide their own first aid person and supplies.
- What to Bring -- Warm sleeping bag and pillow, rain gear, t-shirts and jeans, sweater or jacket, towel and personal effects. Bed and mattress provided.
- Length of Stay -- Can be from one day to a full week. A full week at Homewood is counted as 4 days - Monday supper to Friday lunch.
- Teachers / Sponsors responsibilities: Supervise students at night, at meal times and during free times. One teacher / sponsor is required for every 10 students. Each activity group will need 1 adult supervisor.
- Travel -- The hourly ferry service from Campbell River takes ten minutes and then a six kilometer drive to Homewood.
- Staff -- Full time Homewood staff and college age instructors lead activities and field trips.
For more information, schedule options and availability, please contact our Program Director, Aaron Gole, at email@example.com.
Have you been to Homewood before? Fill out our survey and let us know about your visit. We'd love to hear from you.