The Pacific Coast Children's Mission was founded in 1944 by Alf and Margaret Bayne. They purchased the Goforth, a 36' motor vessel, and ministered to families and children in isolated areas on the coast of British Columbia. The first summer camp was held in 1947 near Terrace, B.C. The need for a permanent base was realized and provided for in October of 1948 when the Baynes moved onto a portion of the present Homewood property. The first camp at Homewood was held the following summer.
Over the years the camp programme has expanded involving more campers and reaching out to more people every year. The Woodsman Camp was started in 1965 on the freshwater Village Bay Lakes. The site was later moved to its present location on Mine Lake. 1979 saw the opening of our main lodge, which greatly enhanced our year round programming. Since then other buildings have been added including the Bunkhouse, Guest House, uphill and downhill wash houses, the three uphill cabins, Bus Barn, and indoor Riding Arena. Changes have been continually taking place but the most important changes have been in people's lives. The name "Homewood" has replaced Pacific Coast Children's Mission, but legally we remain registered as Pacific Coast Children's Mission.